Monday, July 16, 2018

My Island Adventure

Now, I don't normally post about my day (usually I just post about my week), but today was an adventure! I needed a redo on my "me date" that turned into me hanging out with every person in the house instead of finding my own adventure. Today, I had off from work and I wanted to get the most out of it. 

From the moment I woke up, my day moved rather quickly, visiting:

Waverly's Surfing Beach: I wanted to check out a part of the beach that I don't normally choose to go to, so I decided to start with Waverly's Surfing Beach. It is on the north side of the island and not that far of a bike ride away. There aren't many tourists, but there are a lot of surfers, primarily because of the nice waves they tend to have. It wasn't necessarily easy to find, but there is a sign of the street lamp in front of the steps that lead to the break that says "Pray for Surf", which helped a little bit.

Cowpen's Island: Yes, this is a place. No, I am not misspelling it. It isn't all that exciting, but there is a pier. It's quiet and not many people were out and about boating in the bay. There wasn't noise from any of the main roads and there was simply silence. 


Discovery Seashell Museum: This was less of a museum and more of a place to buy different seashells. It was still cool to explore the different types of shells and the owner brought his dog to work, so that's a plus. Dogs make everything better. 

Staunton Wildlife Refuge: It is so peaceful here. It's not really off the beaten path, but you hear the birds and see them fly. It's quite calm. 

Ocean Reef: This is a bit of a funny story. I saw a sign that said "Ocean Reef" along with a bunch of other community things. At first I thought, "I didn't know Ocean City had an Ocean Reef." At the same time, it wasn't unrealistic because I didn't know that they had a wildlife refuge either, so I thought I would check it out on the way back. It was only a couple of blocks out of my way, so why not? I got more and more excited as I got closer to the bay. What I found was that Ocean Reef is a residential community. 

Ocean City Historical Museum: This was quite the challenge to find. It was on Stenton Ave. and 17th. The problem was that 17th and Stenton did not intersect, so I had to bike in circles trying to find it. It wasn't easy to find. It was connected to the library and community center and I honestly found those by accident. There isn't much to the Historical Museum either, but that's ok. I was able to find out more about the library and community center events.

Glazed Over Studios: I wanted to do something artsy, so I found an art studio nearby where I could paint ceramics. I went here with AbbyGrace. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited to see how it turns out. I get to see the final product on Friday. Here's a picture of it without it being fired:

Boyar's Food Market: Mind you, I did not buy any food here. I enjoyed walking around the store though. It's unlike the Acme, Giant, Shoprite, or whatever other grocery store you have near you. It has more of a mom and pop feel to it. They don't carry everything, but they carry enough.

TJ's Ice Cream Plus: I discovered this place by accident last night. I went on a bike ride and it honestly looked like a stereotypical Chinese take-out place, with the yellow lights and red lit writing. I don't know my mind assumed Chinese when I looked at it from the distance. Maybe I just wanted Chinese. Who knows? Anyways, I went to TJ's Ice Cream Plus today and tried pistachio ice cream. It was similar to Hobby Horse. The woman that owns it actually went through the Penn State Creamery Ice Cream Institute (yes, that is a thing. You can look it up.). It was really good. Not as good as Tanner's (that's because I'm a home girl and Tanner's is somewhere I went every summer with my family). P.S. The picture is from the night before. It was not this dark all day. 


After that wonderful adventure, I had to do homework (I know, crazy. It's summer and I still have homework. I'm taking Basic Human Anatomy this summer and there is nothing basic about it, so I have to study.) Before I knew it, it was 5:30 pm and time for house dinner. Later this summer, I hope to see the other side of the island, as I only biked from the north side of the island (which starts before 1st Street) and went to 35th Street.   

No comments:

Post a Comment